PIR, the .org domain name registry, have announced a price increase in .org effective July 1st 2013.
The new price will push .org to USD$8.25, which is higher than .com! That’s a price increase of $0.55.
Not exactly the New Year message a lot of people would have liked to receive..
As has been reported elsewhere, however, Verisign’s new contract with ICANN does not give them the power to push the price of .com, which is still the largest domain name extension, though they did announce an increase for .net.
- VeriSign to increase .NET prices by 10% on July 1st, 2013 (domainnamenews.com)
- Surprise! Verisign to increase .net fees (domainincite.com)
- Breaking: Verisign loses right to increase .com prices (domainincite.com)
- 2012 Domain Dunce: The .com contract renewal (domainnamewire.com)
- Top 10 Biggest Domain Stories of 2012 and Predictions for 2013 (circleid.com)