ICANN’s Post-Expiry Domain Name Recovery Working Group (bit of a mouthful!) has opened a comment period.
The questions being asked are as follows:
1. Whether adequate opportunity exists for registrants to redeem their expired domain names;
2. Whether expiration-related provisions in typical registration agreements are clear and conspicuous enough;
3. Whether adequate notice exists to alert registrants of upcoming expirations;
4. Whether additional measures need to be implemented to indicate that once a domain name enters the Auto-Renew Grace Period, it has expired (e.g., hold status, a notice on the site with a link to information on how to renew, or other options to be determined);
5. Whether to allow the transfer of a domain name during the Redemption Grace Period (RGP).
Full details may be found on the ICANN site.
If you have an opinion on any of the questions please let your opinion be known.
(Disclosure: I am a member of the working group)