The Iranian government has blocked secure sites ie. ones using SSL with “https”.
The blocking means that any service or website based outside Iran that uses a security certificate is inaccessible from within Iran.
Whether Iranians are able to circumvent this via other means or not isn’t clear, though there are probably ways that the geekier types can get around it.
Full story here.
- Iran reportedly blocks Google & all SSL sites on the eve of the revolution anniversary (thenextweb.com)
- Iran Reportedly Blocks HTTPS. But They Filter Major Sites Anyway ” @lissnup (worldwright.wordpress.com)
- Iran blocks secure internet access (slashgear.com)
- Iran Shuts Down Major Websites and Https Protocol (news.ycombinator.com)
- Tor anonymity project looks to help Iranians sidestep Net ban (news.cnet.com)