While pretty much every registry operator out there will put out a full annual report at some point there are a few who also release a variety of shorter reports over the course of the year. In the case of .nz, the country code for New Zealand, they’ve started publishing short snapshot reports on a quarterly basis.
There’s some interesting insights in the report:
- 710982 total domains in the .nz namespace
- 312715 unique registrants
- 87 registrars accredited to offer .nz
- The top 4 registrars have over 43% of the market
- Growth was negative (more domains weren’t renewed than new domains registered)
You can get the full report here (PDF)
In related news, the legal disputes between .nz and various companies that were harvesting whois records are still ongoing, as mentioned recently. In the last few days Whois API agreed to remove .nz from their systems.