The 42nd public ICANN meeting officially opens next Monday, but, as usual, a cursory glance at the event schedule shows a different story.
GNSO, At-Large, GAC and other stakeholders will be meeting from 9am (local time) on Saturday onwards.
What’s on the menu for this meeting?
With the launch date for newTLDs announced don’t expect any “huge” announcements, though there’ll probably be a few surprises over the course of the week.
A glance at the topics on the agenda for the public forum gives some insight into key topics of interest. Expect plenty of discussion and possible “sabre rattling” from governments and resistance to their involvement from pretty much everyone else. Finding a new CEO will probably be a subject of much discussion, both in public sessions and in the hallways..
There should also be quite a bit of law enforcement and DNS abuse and security on the menu ..
I guess we’ll know more over the coming days!
- ICANN President, CEO to Step Down from ICANN July 2012 (circleid.com)
- ICANN Hits New Low In Staff Retention (internetnews.me)
- ICANN to Manage Internet Time Zone Database (circleid.com)
- Paper on Civil Society Involvement in ICANN (circleid.com)
- ICANN’s Assets Grow to $100 Million (domainnamewire.com)