CENTR (Council of European National Top Level Domain Registries) have published “DomainWire Stat Report” which gives a pretty good overview of internet and domain name statistics in Europe (and internationally)
Some headline figures:
- approximately 40% of domains are ccTLDs
- .com dominates gTLDs with approximately 75% of the market
- The top 20 ccTLDs account for 75% of all ccTLD activity
- 11 of the top 20 ccTLDs are European (the top three are .de, .uk and .nl)
- Liechtenstein has the highest market penetration with 192 domains per 100 residents
It’s an interesting report and worth reading if you have an interest in country code domains.